A NEW COVID-19 screening station has been built along the Tabubil-Kiunga Highway by Ok Tedi Mining Limited (OTML) to monitor and prevent the spread of COVID-19 to its workforce and communities.
The station was opened on Friday 10th April by Western Province Deputy Provincial Administrator and Chairman of the province’s COVID-19 Taskforce Mr Michael Viru.
Other dignitaries who witnessed the small ceremony were the Provincial Police Commander Chief Inspector Silva Sika, and a small number of representatives from OTML, Tabubil Hospital and the community.
The station, which began operation on Saturday 11th April will screen all commuters entering Tabubil.
While thanking OTML for the initiative, Mr Viru said the establishment of the station further complements the work the Western Province COVID-19 Taskforce team was doing to prevent the virus from entering the province.
Meanwhile OTML has also supported the Taskforce by providing logistical support to transport PPEs (Personal Protective Equipment) for government workers along the PNG-Indonesia border, as well as transporting security personnel to the border.
Other assistance OTML and its subsidiaries have also provided to the Taskforce include:
- Installing and connecting a new power generator for the hospital that was donated by the North Fly MP James Donald;
- Re-connecting power supply to the Kiunga Hospital incinerator;
- Airlifting medical and PPE supplies for hospitals in Balimo, Kiunga and Tabubil from Port Moresby;
- Donating an Infrared Digital Thermometer to Kiunga hospital;
- Donated two gazebo tents to the Taskforce to use in Kiunga, and;
- Assisting the medical team from Port Moresby to travel to Dome and Yogi villages along the border to collect samples for testing following reports of suspected COVID-19 cases at these villages.
OTML recognises that the international border with Indonesia presents a major risk of the virus spreading to Western Province and the country, hence the company will continue to provide the necessary support to the Provincial Taskforce.